Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Experience Elect/Tech Journalism through my eyes… Ah, and I need help…

So it’s about 1:30 p.m. here in Bowling Green as I start to write this.  Today has been my second day of class, and my first day doing my Journalism based classes.  It’s really strange have two subjects on different days of the week.  So as I sit here, I am in “Journalism” mode.  It’s quite odd.

This morning started with waking up at 6:30 and trying not to abuse my roommate with noise too harshly.  I got to class fifteen minutes early, like I do every class, and had a seat.  This class was my Electronic Technologies for Journalism class.  Unfortunately, it seems an overwhelming portion of my teachers here at WKU have been technologically retarded, this class is no exception.

I have four different teachers in this class, each with specialties in different areas.  We were given the option to choose which teacher to use in this course depending on our interest in their specializations.  As expected, all of the hipster photo majors who thing they’re going to be working for the Rolling Stone or Alternative Press Magazine one day flocked to the artsy looking woman who specialized in photography.  As she said in her part of the presentation, “Photographs tell the story” and written journalism is for people who read!  (The last part went unsaid).

I waited for crowd to finish and then approached the table of sign-up sheets to find that the three other teacher’s classes had been vastly overlooked compared to the artsy woman’s.  Let me remind you that I have NO CLUE what I’m going to do with my degree, and tell you I chose the web design guy who promised to teach me a thing or two about HTML and CSS.  This seemed the most logical option since print newspapers are dying, and I’m far too rational for wild dreams of grandeur, way-too-tight pants on guys, people who wear glasses with no prescription, and emo hair.  Face it, you have maybe a 1% chance of working for that magazine if you even graduate, let’s work on some practical skills shall we?  Ah, minor note:  I was one of three to sign up for computer geek’s class.  One of a very proud three.

Ah, and the highlight of my day was in this class.  It took place when one of my four amusing profs became flustered with frustration at not being able to edit a document in Acrobat Reader.  *sigh*  Oh yes, and being told that no one reaches or accomplishes anything on the internet amused me as well.  Sorry Philip DeFranco, Shane Dawson, ShayCarl, hell, even Justin Bieber… You guys do not exist.

I know I didn’t schedule to post on a Tuesday, but this seemed too amusing not to share.  Also, I’m going to have to create another blog for this class, apparently that’s how they plan on grading us.  (Got me, I didn’t even know most of them knew how to open a web browser (or what a web browser was for that matter)).  It has to be based on a subject; They said it can’t be “about your cat.”  I assume they won’t take a blog about how much I hate cats then either.

I need suggestions for a topic.  Your mom, Glenn Beck, Kittens instead of cats, and ur mom are not viable options.  Please submit… and have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment