Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Carpe Diem

It’s okay, small child, the spoon made me laugh too.

I start our day off with a happy video to counter-balance the not so content  life of Miranda as of right now.  I’m enjoying the work of epic proportions that has been piled on me by my professors as punishment for daring to take 18 credit hours in one semester.  I have already fallen asleep while trying to make my way through Agendas, Alternatives, and Public Policies by John W. Kingdon.  It is, by far, one of the most boring books I have ever read; Essentials of Comparative Politics is almost as bad.

Many, many times I do not remember why I chose a Political Science minor over something easier and more fun, Ex. everything else.  Let me assure you, I no longer have any ambition to run for any office and I am skeptical of working for anyone running for a public office in anything higher than state government.  I have a political science minor because I like to learn.  I savor that feeling one gets upon the intake of new knowledge.  Political science, the study of government, is a study in which I gain information that so many lack, about the way this country works, who is actually pulling the strings.  It would amaze you how little power the elected few have and how much bureaucrats savor.

I am pulled to learn about this science, because it sickens me being surrounded by people who have no understanding of it.  I cannot bear to be like them.  And I’m not talking about ignorance of the complexities in different sub-committees, I’m talking about the simple stuff.  It burns me to be asked the difference between conservative and liberal, judicial and executive, democrat and republican.  It BURNS me to be told that someone I KNOW signed up for a party because they liked their color, or they voted for someone because they liked their road signs!  And then to justify their actions with a, “It’s not like it’s going to affect me anyway,” “What’s one vote?”  One vote… is one life… one vote… is something that you are privileged to have… one vote… is something men and women die for everyday… that one, tiny, supposedly insignificant vote, makes up millions of other votes that changes the course of human history.

People are powerful, you are powerful.  Today’s Presidents, were yesterdays students, yesterday’s fathers and mothers, yesterday’s children, yesterdays brothers and sisters.  We all either end up in the same heaven, or burn in the same hell.

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment