Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Precious in His Sight

I find that Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, seem to be the most difficult days to wake up to, yet the most enjoyable when compared to their counterparts (Tuesday and Thursday). I suppose that might be due to having to wake up much earlier on those three days.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, are, by far, the best days, because I have my most enjoyable classes are on those days. Now, I can't complain, American National Government isn't too unbearable, but it has nothing on Media Writing.

Today, Media Writing consisted of no writing at all. As a Public Relations major, I have to take Media Writing so that I'm prepared for the stressful task of writing press releases for whomever I work for. However, I firmly believe that Media Writing is just one class in the Public Relations program's arsenal here that is geared toward making you want to change your major to Journalism (which I am currently considering). Both this class and Media & Society both make me lean towards Journalism which isn't necessarily a bad thing considering Western Kentucky University supposedly has an excellent News/Ed Journalism program, or so says the wall covered in Pulitzer Prizes.

In any case, today's class consisted of the students watching a documentary called "Precious in His Sight," or so I recall. I have scoured the internet for a link to a clip or two, but have come across nothing so if I have the name wrong, my apologies.

This video, "Precious in His Sight" is a bit old and was done by a reporter who did a story on the Tucker family who adopted somewhere around 60 children with special needs and an orphanage that they were affiliated with in Haiti. The video was quite old, long before the Haiti earthquake; I'd place it around fifteen or more years ago.

The story was extremely moving in the beginning with interviews of the Tuckers and footage of their home. They talked about all the donations they receive from churches and how the Campbells Soup company donated cases upon cases of soup to this home. Then the story turned to this orphanage in Haiti with footage of the suffering that was occurring there.

Now, lately we've all seen a lot of Haiti as the country has been in the news heavily since the earthquake. However, I really do think that much of the time we are desensitized to what we see. We see it, but we don't really think about it and take in that it's actually THAT bad. I'm guilty of it too.

So while I was watching this video, it just hit me. Isn't it kind of sad, pathetic almost, that we in the United States live with so much which people literally under 2,000 miles from our shores are living in utter poverty? One of the statements made in this documentary was that the average person in Haiti with a job, which is rare to begin with, makes around 300 dollars a year. I can't even begin to imagine...

And yet, I feel put out when I don't have something I want; not need, but want. At that moment, I gotta say, I was pretty disgusted with myself. I've lived an extremely privileged life. I've never really gone without.

Then I got angry. I started thinking about the amount of money our government spends on absolutely pointless things. And then I got a little angrier when I thought about how I heard of people using the Haiti Earthquake to get people to give money to false organizations so they could take it for themselves. How sick is that? How morally corrupt do you have to be that you will steal from starving injured children?

So now that I've had my rant, I'm going to stop and say this. I'm certainly going to watch myself and think twice before I get put out over not getting something I want in the future; and I encourage you to do so as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment